In this episode, we talk with Unified Partners Britney Bautista and Sidney Tanaka from Special Olympics Hawaii, who were featured in the video “Be the Change: A Special Olympics Unified Champions Schools Film“. We talk about the making of the film, what its like to be part of Unified Programs in the Hawaiian Islands, and future work before breaking down to talk about inclusion and food.
Inclusion is talking about food – Mo ‘Ono Acai bowls, Fried Spam Musubi from Da Kitchen, Lau Lau Pork, Lomi-Lomi Salmon, Chocolate Haupia and POG. And for some of us, Fry Sauce, Swig Sodas, Pizza and Ice Cream.– All of us, at some points talking during the interview
Tim Shriver talks about inclusion like everybody having a place at the table. Britney and Sidney want to make sure that we’re all there too, and are working to make this a reality.
Subscribe: iTunes | Google Podcasts | Google Play | TuneIn | YouTube | Spotify
Please be sure to review and rate the podcast. We’re just getting started & every bit of feedback helps us grow!
You can watch the video of our interview below. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to be notified of new episodes when they are posted!
Follow the stories of Britney and Sidney, who have worked substantially for inclusion!
- Sidney and Britney Are Changing the World (GenerationUnified.org, January 2019)
- Be the Change | A Special Olympics Unified Champion Schools Film (Special Olympics, January 2019)
- Heller, Iglesia win gold at Special Olympics (The Garden Island, July 2018)
- Special Olympics Youth of the Week: Britney Bautista and Sidney Tanaka (Medium.com, March 2018)
- Two Maui Students Selected for Special Olympics USA Games (Maui Now, January 2018)
- Hawaii Athletes Prepare for Special Olympics (Big Island Now, January 2018)