Today we’re talking with Kevin Gillese, a film writer and producer at Dad’s Garage. Kevin builds inclusion through storytelling and self advocacy for his characters in film, starting with recognition of his film short “That was Awesome“. We’re going to discuss disability representation in his soon-to-be released film “How to Ruin The Holidays”, which you can watch the trailer for at howtoruintheholidaysmovie.com!
We get to talk about the upcoming release, his relationship to his brother and to the disability community, and the decision to make a movie with a disabled person. In an interview Kevin did with Canvas Rebel, he said of actor Luke Davis “My relationship with Luke has taught me that when we lift up those who need it most by forging authentic connections, it’s a benefit to us all.” Kevin also says on the movie’s kickstarter site that his brother “Mark has taught me that our differences make us stronger, not weaker, no matter what mainstream culture would have us believe.”
Disclosure – we are kickstarter supporters, and Natalie is listed in the credits as a snake wrangler for the film.
You can watch the video of our interview below. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to be notified of new episodes when they are posted!
Check out more interviews with Kevin at the following links:
- Meet Kevin Gillese | Comedy Writer and Producer (Canvas Rebel)
- In Our Own Words: Kevin Gillese, writer-producer-improviser from Dad’s Garage (Arts ATL)
- Kevin Gillese at CreativeMorningsHQ (YouTube)
- Kevin Gillese Produces New Comedy Film “How to Ruin the Holidays” (Atlanta Real Estate Forum)
- Kevin Gillese from Dad’s Garage and How to Ruin the Holidays (Atlanta Film Chat)
- Edmonton’s Kevin Gillese Chats About His New Movie “How To Ruin The Holidays” (104.9FM / Luke Rodriguez)
- Partnership with Dad’s Garage Theatre builds self-esteem for adults with developmental disabilities (Atlanta JCC)
- How to Ruin the Holidays – Kevin Gillese (writer) and Arlen Konopaki (director) Interview (88.5FM / CJSR Radio)