Ben Mattlin is a journalist and the author of “Disability Pride”, a book that explores what’s taken place in the US since the signing of The Americans with Disabilities Act, more commonly known as the ADA. The first ‘Disability Pride Day’ was held in 1990 the same year as the signing of the ADA.
Ben decided to explore the changes taking place in a thriving disability culture that is normalizing Disability. He also looks at problems that still exist in stigma, ableism, and the erasure of voices and visibility within the movement, particularly for people of color and for the LGBTQIA+ communities.
His book is available on Amazon at Disability Pride: Dispatches from a Post-ADA World
You can watch the video of our interview below. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to be notified of new episodes when they are posted!
You can find Ben Mattlin at his website https://benmattlin.com and on twitter and insta as @benmattlin.
From the book: Disability Hashtags in Social Media:
- #disco (short for disabled community)
From the interview: Disability Activists, Mentions and Who to Follow
- Ali Stroker – alistroker.com | IMDB | Twitter | Instagram
- Alice Wong – Disability Visibility Project | Twitter | Instagram
- Andrew Pulrang – Disability Thinking | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Ben Mattlin – benmattlin.com | Twitter | Instagram
- Keah Brown – keahbrown.com | Twitter | Instagram
- Melissa Blake – So About What I Said | Twitter | Instagram
- Serge Kovaleski – New York Times | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Shane Burcaw – YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
From the interview and more… Organizations
- ADA Guide to Disability Rights Laws – https://www.ada.gov/resources/disability-rights-guide/
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) – ada.gov
- Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund – dredf.org
- Longmore Institute on Disability at San Francisco State University
- Protecting Students with Disabilities – ed.gov
- Stop Bullying – stopbullying.gov